Sunday 7 March 2010

Simple pleasures

g

These days I've been reading and loving




.....

From Mark to Juliet


5th April 1946



You're being elusive and I don't like it. I don't want to see the play with someone else - I want to go with you. In fact, I don't give a damn about the play. I'm only trying to rout you out of that apartment. Dinner? Tea? Cocktails? Boating? Dancing? You choose and I'll obey. I'm rarely so docile - don't throw away this opportunity to improve my character.

Yours

Mark


gg

From Juliet to Mark


Dear Mark,



Do you want to come to the British Museum with me? I've got an appointment in the Reading Room at two o'clock. We can look at the mummies afterwards.



Juliet


h

From Mark to Juliet



To hell with the Reading Room and the mummies. Come have lunch with me.


Mark
g

From Juliet to Mark


Do you consider that docile?



Juliet





From Mark to Juliet



To hell with docile



M.



---------------


......We all want to come and meet you - but a new fear has struck me. There could be twenty other passengers on the mail boat, and how will I know which one is you? That book photo is a blurry little thing and i don't want to go kissing the wrong woman. Could you wear a big red hat with a veil and carry lilies?



Your friend

Isola


---------------


....My mother's sister lives in Jersey. Now that the war is over she's able to visit us - more's the pity....



---------------



30th July 1946, 7.30 p.m.

Night cold. Ocean noisy. Will Thisby was host. House dusted, but curtains need washing.

Mrs Winslow Daubbs read a chapter from her autobiography, The Life and Loves of Delilah Daubbs. Audience attentive - but silent afterwards. Except for Winslow, who wants a divorce.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks dear visitor